Intravenous (IV) nutrition is a method of feeding vitamins, minerals, and other natural substances directly into a patient’s bloodstream. Bypassing the digestive system is the main advantage of IV nutrition. When substances are given orally, they must be processed through the stomach and the intestines. Many substances may be rendered inactive in the digestive tract, or may not be well absorbed due to poor intestinal function. By directly administering nutrients to the body, higher than normal blood levels can be achieved. These increased levels can provide an immediate therapeutic response by correcting deficiencies that may arise from a disease state.
Which vitamins and minerals are in the Myers’ Cocktail?
The answer to this question really depends on the doctor or intravenous vitamin therapy center you go to. Although Dr. Myers, the inventor of the cocktail, originally had one formula, that formula has since evolved. Now, doctors will often customize the Myers’ Cocktail according to a patient’s particular needs, adding or deleting nutrients as needed. However, a standard formula usually contains:
- Vitamin B-12
- Vitamin B-6
- Vitamin C
The Myers’ Cocktail is an intravenous vitamin-and-mineral formula for the treatment of a wide range of clinical conditions. The modified “Myers’ cocktail”, which consists of magnesium, B vitamins, and vitamin C, has been found to be effective against acute asthma attacks, migraines, fatigue (including chronic fatigue syndrome), fibromyalgia, acute muscle spasm, upper respiratory tract infections, chronic sinusitis, seasonal allergic rhinitis, cardiovascular disease, and other disorders.
The Myers’ Cocktail can be very useful in situations where oral nutrients or other therapies are not working. When nutrients are given intravenously, your digestive system is bypassed and a much higher level of nutrition can be delivered directly to your cells via the bloodstream. The nutrients then kick-start those cells which are performing below par.
While the value of Vitamin Therapy has been noted in scientific monographs, its value is not expressly recognized by the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and its use in medical treatment, either orally or by intravenous injection, is considered nonstandard treatment by the medical community with the exception of some physicians who practice integrative, functional or nutritional medicine.
The general effect of a Myers’ Cocktail intravenous therapy appears to be a marked improvement in the energy capacity and function of cells. If your cells can function at their best, it’s more likely you can recover from a serious health problem.
Additional Benefits from IV Vitamin Therapy
- Detoxification – It helps the body eliminate free radicals, chemical pollutants, and bacterial toxins. It protects the body from radiation and chemotherapy.
- Antiviral and Antibacterial Agent – It is excellent to treat acute and chronic viral infections. Because it boosts the immune system, it helps control reactivated viral infections (for example, cold sores and shingles) too.
- Immune modulator – Restores balance to the immune system, making it more efficient and ready to fight recurrent infections, chronic fatigue, immune disorders, and allergies.
- Reduces stress – It helps patients feel more energetic and happier. It also increases concentration and improves mood.
- Healthier Skin – The increased circulation promotes healthier and glowing skin. It improves acne and other immune-related disorders that target the skin.
- Decreases Risk of Heart Disease – It helps reverse the inflammatory effect on arteries, which in turn decreases the formation of arteriosclerosis—this is one of the major risk factors for cardiovascular disease and stroke.
- Heavy metal chelation – It drags heavy metals out of our system, especially mercury toxicity—which is a big issue because of contaminated fish and the mercury-containing amalgams. This overload adds to the patient’s toxic burden. IV therapy can protect the body and clear not only mercury but also other heavy metals like lead and iron.
- Cancer treatment – Many studies show the beneficial effects of high dose Vitamin C therapy in the treatment of some cancers. Other than that, high levels of Vitamin C in the bloodstream are also found out to “kill” cancerous cells without harming or damaging non-cancerous cells. Vitamin C therapy has been used in the treatment of prostate cancer, breast cancer, lung cancer and some lymphomas with good results.
How often does one get a Myers’ Cocktail?
- Frequency of treatment will depend upon the individual patient as well as the condition being treated.
- For more acute conditions, in preparation for an event (marathon, sports competition), or in anticipation of high stress (weddings, travel, exams), Myers’ Cocktails may be used weekly over 3-5 weeks (or more). This will usually be tapered down as symptoms improvement is monitored.
- Myers’ Cocktails may also be used monthly for chronic conditions (migraines, allergies, etc.), general health maintenance and to help support immune function.
What to expect:
- Most IV infusions take approximately 30 minutes or less if an IV push is used. High dose Vitamin C infusions can take 1-2 hours.
- There is very little pain involved except for a needle stick similar to a blood draw experience.
- Depending on the infusion, you may experience local warmth and then an increase in energy or a relaxation effect.
- Many people report improved sleep and a calming sensation.
- Improved sense of well-being usually accompanies Vitamin C or Magnesium infusions.
- It is best to eat before having an IV infusion as some infusions affect blood sugar. If you are diabetic, you should monitor your insulin dosage and bring snacks with you to your appointment.
Please come well hydrated and let our staff know if you have any allergies to the ingredients listed.